Saturday, September 11, 2010
Unit 3 blog
My well being I would say is about a 4. I am suffering from an illness that does not allow me to physically be well most of the time. My physical well being is about a 4 because of my illness. My spiritual well being is I would say a 9. I always keep my spirits and spirituality up and positive, I have to to try and get well. Psychologically I would say a 9. I use meditation and deep breathing, sometimes mental imagery to keep myself in a very positive frame of mind. I feel I have too much to fight for to just give in or give up. My goal In all three areas is to stay positive and keep balance and fight my hardest. Like I said I meditate several times a day, I have also joined a gym and go daily and work with a trainer to do whats best and what I am physically able to do. I hope to get more physically in shape. The relaxation exercise was great. I like this guy, even my cat fell asleep listening to him. I did an experiment. As I followed his directions I had a pulse oximeter on my finger and the exercise lowered my heart rate by 15 beats a minute. That was great.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mel, i like the experiement you did. I have a section of road that I like to drive nearby, I call it the enchanted forest. It is oak and maple trees that overshadow the road and whenever I enter that stretch, I know my heart rates slows and the tension leaves my body. It is close by my home, your blog has given me a reminder to visit that place of refuge more often. Best of luck sister in your health quest.
ReplyDeleteHi Mel this was a great experiment. Knowing that you were able to actually accomplish lowering your heart rate with the exercise may leave the possibility open to examining your illness, and incorporating conventional medicine which I am assuming you are using, and combining some of these methods to specific side effects that you may feel physically due to the illness. It does not have to be a fix as a whole symptom, but rather pick a symptom that you feel disables you from feeling a little more comfort and see if you can change that symptom the same way you changed your heart rate. You are truly inspiring! It is not easy to feel physically ill and keep a high spiritual and mental level. Keep going strong
ReplyDeleteVicki
I am also loving the experiment! I never would have thought to do that. Between your pulse oximeter showing your decreased heart rate and your cat falling asleep, I'd say the relaxation exercise was very beneficial for everyone! :-)
ReplyDeleteWould you say that your physical wellness has been at a four for a while? Do you see the addition of skills learned in this class helping to raise that score at all? Kudos to you for joining a gym! What are your favorite exercises there? I hope that your gym time is really enjoyable and beneficial for you.
Best to you!
Erin
Melissa my friend, you came up with a great experiment! I know you struggle with the effects of the disease, but you keep fighting.. As you said, keeping a positive attitude makes a big difference. Wallowing in self-pity would be easier some days, but it's more fun to prove everyone...especially doctors...wrong ;o)
ReplyDeleteHey MEl,
ReplyDeleteI hope you will feel better, but you are really strong on spiritual aspects and psychological aspects. That gives you strengh and your positive attitude will help you to get better. Good Luck!!!