Introduction: I believe it is important for health and wellness professionals to develop psychologically, spiritually, and physically. I do not believe you can expect to help a client reach development psychologically, spiritually, and physically, if you are not developed in these areas yourself. If you have reached your developmental goals in these areas, I feel then you can help guide someone else toward those goals.
I honestly need to develop some in all three of these areas listed above. I have an illness that limits my physical ability. I have let this stop me from trying I think; psychologically I think I have just let my mind say ok you can’t do it and kind of settle for that. Spiritually, I am very strong, I am sure I could be stronger. On the spiritual aspect, I use this to help me meditate, which I do several times a day. Physically, I need lots of work. I need to get a grip on exercise and just do it and stop thinking that I can’t do it.
Assessment: I have assessed my health in each domain by writing down my abilities in each of the three areas and know where I should basically be by studying our text books and learning all I can. I score my wellness spiritually, physically, and psychologically by writing down my pros and cons of my abilities in these three areas. I know where I should be physically, and that is tied in with the psychological by me getting mentally prepared to get fit. Spiritually, I am probably the strongest. On a scale of 1-10 I would say my physical wellbeing is a 3, my psychological wellbeing is a 7, and my spiritual wellbeing is a 9, as you can see I have room for improvement in all three.
Goal Development: For my psychological goal I hope to get more mentally tough about working out, getting the right mind set, and just do it. Spiritually, I am the strongest; I can get deeper into my spirituality with meditation. I would like to be able to completely get inside my and control all pain and ready myself for physical exercise. Physically, I have the biggest goal, to lose 140 lbs. I have no time limit on this; I just need to lose it. The excess weight is contributing to my health problems. My goal is to get physically fit within the next couple of years, it will not be easy, but, I know I can do it; I just need to put my mind to it.
Practices for personal health: Strategies I will use to foster growth are, Physical-Exercise, and diet to foster growth in this area, I know with exercise and a stricter diet I will have a much better chance at attaining my weight goal. Spiritually- I hope to get in better touch with my spiritual side, through meditation, and mental imagery. This will also help physically. Psychologically- I think it will fall right in line as the other areas improve, my outlook will improve and become more positive, but, to make sure this happens by using positive affirmations and expanding my consciousness by being totally aware of my being and balance.
Commitment: I will assess my progress or lack of over the next six months; I have joined a gym and have a personal trainer and a detailed workout program to start working toward my goal of losing 140 lbs. The strategies I have to maintain my long term practices are wonderful family support and sheer determination to succeed and become healthy again. I will assess my self with a journal that I do keep daily, and an exercise diary the trainer has me keep at the gym, he reviews it every month and adjusts your exercise program accordingly. I should be able to accomplish my goal with hard work.
References
Elliott S. Dacher, M. (2006). Integral Health. Laguna Beach: Basic Health Publications, Inc.
Marilyn Schlitz, T. A. (2005). Consciousness and Healing. st.louis. missouri: Elsevier Churchill Livingstone.
Mel, using the resources around you are a great way to achieve your goals. One thing that helps me is I have a variety of cookbooks that I use to make my meal plans and to say on track with my eating that will also go hand in hand with the exercise and contribute to your overall weight loss. A great book if you can find it is by Tosca Reno called the Eat Clean Cookbook. It is a great tool with many different recipes that are great tasting and easy to make. Plus for me they keep my blood sugar down. Just something that may help you with your journey. Good luck with your goals!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jessica I will have to get it
ReplyDeleteMel,
ReplyDeleteThough you have a long road ahead of you with your weight loss goals, you have been equipped with several resources to help you get there! It takes time and commitment and I'm sure you will be able to incorporate reaching your goals into your life. Physical fitness and health isn't easy to change - I'm struggling with that myself. I have about 15 pounds to lose but I can remember how good it felt before I gained it a couple of years ago! As I've been developing my mental fitness I have found that I am becoming more inspired to focus on the physical aspect. It's amazing how much a change in one area of your life can affect the others! I will be thinking of you on your journey and wish you all the best!!
Mel,
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on beginning your journey to a healthier you! It sounds like you have great resources to assist you. Beginning exercise can be challenging, especially if you have physical restrictions. My dad broke his back several years ago and has permanent damage. My mom suffers from severe pain from fibromyalgia. They are both severely overweight but have recently started walking, despite their pain. They have lost a total of 30 pounds between them in the past two months and have told me that while their pain isn't gone, it isn't as debilitating. As far as diet goes, a good rule to follow is to divide your plate in half. Put fruits and/or non-starchy vegetables in that half. Divide the other half in half as well and put lean meat in that portion and whole grain or starchy vegetables such as potatoes in the other quarter section. It makes portion control very easy, especially if you are eating away from home. Good luck, I know you can do it!!!!
Buffy
Hi Mel - I think the hardest thing about committing to exercise is, as you say, just to start. All activity counts throughout our day for burning calories. I am glad that you have pursued a trainer to help you get started. It is much easier to stay focused when we have someone either to exercise with or in your situation someone to validate and direct your efforts in the best way to work toward your goal. I wish you the best in that endeavor and much success as you continue your journey at Kaplan.
ReplyDeleteBarbara
Mel, I have a feeling you have what it takes to accomplish your goals. Just doing the self assessment I felt was the toughest things. You can only take things one day at a time. I too have weight issues that are contributing to my decline in physical health but I beleive that with the right mindset we can over come this. Best of luck in your future. Thank you so much for your insight and honesty, you have inspired me to be more than I was.
ReplyDeleteHey Mel,
ReplyDeleteFirst I want to tell you congratulation for losing that much weight. It is hard to lose weight.After taking this class all of you make me realize that I need to restart exercise. Right now I am controling my weight my controling sugar ngradeints and soda. I try to drink juice and water as much as i can. I am planning to restart exercise on daily bases. Good luck to you Mel.
Melissa, we both know that it is easy to let physical disabilities get the best of us. We just have to learn to be tougher than the disability, and that is not easy. Exercise is a tough habit to get started but once we do, it is always well worth it. Having a personal trainer is a great idea.
ReplyDeleteBest of luck in your next classes and with your integral health endeavors.
Hi Melissa,
ReplyDeleteI know that you have a strong spirit, you are one of the strongest people I know. Whether you have "settled" with your limitation or not I know that if you set your mind to something you will be successful. I'm here to support you. Good luck with all of your goals.