Friday, October 8, 2010

unit 7 Meeting Asciepius

I liked this exercise on Dacher's CD. I mainly use meditation when in pain and at bed time to fall asleep. It works like a charm. I use simple meditation, nothing complicated and it so comforting and relaxing. I even meditate before tackling a lot of homework to get in the right frame of mind. I think fostering these meditation skills can help in all aspects of my life.
I think " One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself" means you cant teach others about health when you are unhealthy your self. I believe in practice what you preach. I am morbidly obese and would not dare to expect anyone looking to get fit to look at me and want to listen to anything I have to say about health and fitness. Its being hypocritical, I think to be like that. I implement psychological and spiritual growth by helping others by listening and spiritually by meditating and soul searching, it helps me find my balance.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mel
    Do you feel that current conventional medicine does not address your physical issues. Meaning do you think your doctor really listens to you, before offering solutions?

    I ask this because, you mention that you could not give advice to another person with regard to nutrition and health. It couldn't be further from the truth.

    I work with a Board Certified Nutritionist, who is overweight. But not for the reason you think. You see you are only looking on the outside. If you looked on the inside of this situation, you would discover the reason she is overweight is because of the steriods she takes for Non Hodgkins Lymphoma (cancer). This does not make her unfit to offer nutritional advice. On the contrary, she is able to connect to patients who know first hand by being overweight what is needed and what is not needed, both medically, emotionally, and spiritually. Those who who experience are those who have wisdom to share!! And so do you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel,

    I like your philosphy on things as they are similar to mind. I think you have to practice what you preach. I also like what Vicki add as you have to look from the inside at the whole instead of making judgments without knowing the whole story. In integral health it covers a wide array of treatments and we need specialist in all areas. Your expertise may not be in physical activity but you can help many become happy and deal with stress and a whole number of problems by offering them knowledge about meditation. So don't let one thing bring you down build on what you have and the rest will start to fall in place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa,

    I agree that you should practice what you preach and you do. Your health problems and weight issues are due to the illness and medication you are on, you give grate advice and could help so many people. You just helped me in giving me the idea to meditate before I start my school work on days when I just have a tough time getting in the right mindset to get anything done. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa, I liked this practice too. These meditations and guided imageries really help when you are stressed.
    I agree with you about teaching someone else things, except, you and I both know that there are some things we have little control over physically, but we can still help people with the other parts of integral health. We cannot be expected to be perfect, but just knowing what we can help people with and what is outside our area of expertice is the most important thing.
    Have a great week Melissa! :o)

    ReplyDelete