Tuesday, October 12, 2010

unit 8 post

My two practices are meditation and visualization. I love these two practices. Meditation is awesome. I use meditation for pain control, I am allergic to all pain medication and I have Lupus and was blessed to discover meditation from a previous Kaplan instructor. Wow, has it helped so much, I have gotten to where I can almost make the pain disappear completely. I use visualization to relax before I start school work. It helps me get focused and find balance that I need to concentrate to get my work done. I have ADD and take medication for it and it has allowed me to cut my dosage in half. I seem to be able to sit still and get a project done without fidgeting and getting up and down constantly. I love both of these practices and do interchange which I use for what.

5 comments:

  1. That's awesome Mel. I am happy to here that meditation is helping you to reduce pain. I also love meditation and yoga, but I have not doing those regularly, which is bad for me. but i will restart one day. good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mel,
    I think it is absolutely fantastic that you are finding pain relief via meditation! I was reading a small research study with 63 rheumatoid arthritis patients. After two months of mindfulness training, the patient’s physical symptoms did not disappear, but improved. As we explore mind-body health, and more people are willing to try it, I think people will continue to find cheering results. I think it just hard to get people to try new avenues of therapy. Glad you are doing so well.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Mel!
    That is great that you have found meditation to work for you in such a great ways - especially physically. I cannot imagine being in pain and not being able to take any medications for it. You are a great example of how traditional medicine does not work for everyone and that being able to have other options is so beneficial. It sounds like the psychological benefits of meditation are also working for you! That is just amazing and I am very happy for you that you have found a heightened level of calmness and relief from your meditation practice. You also mention that you use different techniques for different areas - which I think is a must to get the most from the exercises. While one works best for the pain, the other encourages your mind to stay focused longer. Great job and keep it up! I hope you continue to find success in these practices for many years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mel that is terrific! My best friend has ADHD and chronic pain syndrome from degenerative disks in her back. She takes so much medication it scares me for her well being. I'm going to tell her what you've said about meditation and maybe I can help her to feel better. Great work on your own health!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melissa,

    That is very interesting that you have been able to use meditation to cut your medication in half; I have a friend who has ADD, i'm going to tell him about it and how it has worked for you. I have really enjoyed this class and learning more about meditation and how important it is. I had an understanding before this class but it has really opened my eyes on the importance of it. I'm glad it has been working for you, feel better.

    ReplyDelete